FOR PDF OF ENTIRE ISSUE, CLICK ON LINK BELOW
Real Change Newspaper
Table of Contents
November 1, 1999, Vol. 6, No. 21
- Fall Books: Colleen McElroy, Leonard Peltier, Christian Parenti, Marie Kazalia, John Steinbeck, Norman Solomon, KidLit They’ll Like
- Citizens Participation Project: ACT NOW!
Table of Contents:
UDnow3. The superagencies have split up the UDYC. Do homeless kids win or lose? By Todd Matthews, Pages 1, 11 [RE: University District Youth Center (UDYC)]
- Picture: Amy, Liz, and Leech hope for the best at UDYC.
- Photo by Erik Castro
In the Den of the Dragon. An interview with Colleen J. McElroy. Interview by Joan Pliego, Pages 1, 5
- Poem: Sprung Sonnet for Dorothy Dandrige 1923 – 1965 by Colleen J. McElroy, from Traveling Music, © 1998
- Picture: Colleen J. McElroy
Mailbag, Page 2
- There is no alternative medicine by Richard O'Reilly
Opinion: Size Matters. This November, support your independent bookseller. By The Left Bank Collective, Page 3
News You Can Use. Close to Home. Newsbriefs by Todd Matthews unless noted otherwise, Page 4
- Hunger Amid Plenty [RE: Unemployment low, hunger high in WA State]
- Nordstrom Told "Free Mumia". By Scott Winn [RE: Mumia Abu-Jamal, Governor Tom Ridge, Callie Shanafelt]
- City: Yes to Vets Hall, No on Tents for the Rest [RE: Anitra Freeman, SHARE/WHEEL, Deputy Mayor Tom Byers, Alan Painter, Theresa Fujiwara]
- Picture: One of more than a thousand with nowhere to go at 4 a.m.
- Photo by Erik Castro
- Street Count Breaks Records. [RE: Count on October 22, 1999 found 1,019 on the streets, Operation Nightwatch, Seattle King County Coalition for the Homeless, Rev. Rick Reynolds, Ruth Velozo, Northwest Harvest]
A Few Good Books
- Free Peltier. Book: Prison Writings. My Life is My Sun Dance by Leonard Peltier. Review by Timothy Harris., Page 6
- … And Cages For All. Book: Lockdown America: Police and Prisons in the Age of Crisis by Christian Parenti. Review by Scott Winn, Page 6
- Poetry Ain’t Pretty. Book: Erratic Sleep in a Cold Hotel by Marie Kazalia. Review by Koon Woon, Page 7
- Guilty Pleasure. The Habits of Highly Deceptive Media by Norman Solomon. Review by Todd Matthews, Page 8
- Passion Unbound: Book: The Prisoner’s Wife by Asha Bandele. Review by Scott Winn, Page 8
- Steinbeck’s Call to Action. The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck. Review by Michele Marchand, Pages 8, 9
KidLit for the P.C. Review by Bob Redmond, Page 9, 14
- Book: The Story of Colors! La Historia De Los Colores. Story by Subcommandante Marcos. Illustrated by Domitila Dominguez. Translated by Anne Bar Din.
- Book: Grandma Fina and Her Wonderful Umbrellas! Abuelita Fina Y Sus Sombrillas Maravillosas. Story be Benjamin Alire Sáenz. Illustrated by Geronimo Garcia. Translated by Pilar Herrera.
- Book: Do You Want to Play? Written and Illustrated by Bob Kolar.
Truth in Sci-Fi. Reviews by Anitra Freeman, Page 14
- Book: Space Merchants by Frederick Pohl and Cyril M. Kornbluth
- Book: The Merchants’ War by Frederick Pohl.
Tenant Talk. Educate. Agitate. Organize. By Tenants Union staff, Page 10
Classics Corner by Perfess’r Hassis (Timothy Harris), Page 11
Poetry, Pages 12, 13
- Mr. Ondo by Jim Page
- Thoughts, Dreams, and Nightmares by Holly Littlejohn
- An Encounter by Earle Thompson
- I Refuse To Give Up by Faith Ann, vendor # 3231
- Obituary: In Memory. Henry F. Burr, Jr. Nov 8, 1964 – Nov 1, 1998 by Michele Marchand, Page 13
Obituary: In Memory. Henry F. Burr, Jr. Nov. 8, 1964 - Nov. 1, 1998. By Michele Marchand, Page 13
Adventures in Poetry: Fear of Fractions with © Dr. Wes Browning, Page 13
Calendar, Page 15
Citizens Participation Project, Page 16
Reform the Reform. Families and children need your help now.
Issue: Improving access to benefits that support work for families and children.