FOR PDF OF ENTIRE ISSUE, CLICK ON LINK BELOW
Real Change Newspaper
Table of Contents
December 15, 1999, Vol. 6, No. 24
- Christmas in the Soul
- WTO Photos. What Now?
- A WTO Action Guide
- School of Assassins
- Citizens Participation Project. ACT NOW!
Table of Contents:
Boomtown Cafe. Double portions of dignity in Pioneer Square. By Peter Bloch-Garcia, Pages 1, 14
- Picture: Boomtown Cafe
- Photo by Chris Cummings
Father Bill. Priest Bill Bichsel puts his body and soul on the line. Interview by Todd Matthews, Pages 1, 6, 13
- Picture: Bill Bichsel, looking for trouble at Tacoma's Guadalupe House.
- Photo by Todd Matthews
Mailbag, Page 2
- Love us, fear us, just get off our backs. By Jason Maclurg, M.D. | Seattle
- We're still waiting...by Rev. Rick Reynolds
- Poem: Tribute to a Friend by Rev. Rick Reynolds
10 Good Reasons to support Real Change/RCHEP this holiday season. By Timothy Harris, Page 3
News You Can Use. Close to Home. Newsbriefs by Todd Matthews, Page 4
- The Morrison spins out [RE: The Morrison Hotel, Virginia Felton, SHA, John Fox, Seattle Displacement Coalition]
- Giuliani 0, Elephants 1 [RE: NY Mayor Rudolph Giuliani, arrests of homeless people who refused to move along, throwing elephant dung at his portrait]
- Press still free [RE: Independent Media Center a huge success during WTO says Jeff Perlstein]
- World AIDS Day [RE: People of Color Against AIDS Network (POCAAN), Manuel Sandoval]
Opinion: Now What? How to battle the WTO, now that the WTO has left town. By Peter Bloch-Garcia, Page 5
- Picture: Taken during WTO
- Photo by George Hickey
A Protest to Die For. Thousands of activists take action at tech school for assassins. By Todd Matthews, Page 6 [RE: Ft. Benning, Georgia, School of Americas (SOA), David Huneryager, Tommy Ross, Note: It is now called The Western Hemisphere Institute for Security Cooperation]
Squatter's Rights. Anarchy in action at the WTO. By Scott Winn, Page 7
- Picture: Board and Barricade! Essential skills for the budding urban anarchist. Squatters safeguard against unwanted official incursions.
- Photo by Christina Larson
Photo Essay: By George Hickey and Letter to Grandma. Don't worry about me. I'm OK. The WTO is not...Love, Gretchen King, Pages 8, 9
- Picture: Police routinely teargassed, pepper sprayed, and shot rubber bullets at peaceful, nonviolent protesters during the demonstration.
- Picture: Photographer George Hickey gets it full in the face. The press credentials hanging from his neck were no safeguard. A protester dragged the blinded photographer to the sidelines.
- Pictures: Teamsters and Sea Turtles: Together at Last! A post-protest New York Times article described the broad anti-WTO environmental-labor coalition as having long-term staying power. The consensus is that events in Seattle have brought back U.S. protest politics and placed economic justice issues at the top of the progressive agenda.
- Six more pictures of the WTO, people and protests
- All Photos by George Hickey
Tenant Talk. Legal Action Center. By Mark Chattin, Page 10
Classics Corner. By Perfess'r Harris (Timothy Harris), Pgae 11
Real Theater. Christmas is All Up in the Soul. Review by Brian Goedde, Pages 11, 14
| Quote by Sauda Porter, Nu Black Arts West Theater
Poetry: Page 12
- Be All That You Can Be by Lonnie Nelson
- Can Man by Judy Hopkins
Adventures in Poetry: A Real Laff Riot with © Dr. Wes Browning
Calendar. Page 15
Citizens Participation Project. ACT NOW! Page 16
Money for Recovery. Missing HUD money should benefit homeless.
- Issue: The "HUD Disaster Recovery" money should indeed benefit human service agencies and, ultimately, the homeless and low-income citizens of Seattle.