FOR PDF OF ENTIRE ISSUE, CLICK ON LINK BELOW
Real Change Newspaper
Table of Contents
March 7, 2002, Vol. 9, No. 6
- Save Our State
- Back From the World Social Forum
- End the Drug War
- Foxes In Boxes
- Secret to Eternal Youth
Note: Page 8 is followed by Page 13. The Mockingbird Times was inserted in-between.
Table of Contents:
Baby Budget Buster? In budget-crunching time, home that cares for drug-affected infants is threatened. By Jackie Renn, Pages 1, 14
| Home for drug-addicted infants
| What is PICC
- Pictures: One of the babies treated at the Pediatric Interim Care Center in Kent.
- The babies in all four photos were born to drug-addicted mothers and are being taken care of at the Pediatric Interim Care Center.
- A baby’s feet go into a addiction-related tremor.
- Photos by Jackie Renn
Mailbag, Page 2
- Rainier Vista replacements by Virginia Felton | Communications Director, Seattle Housing Authority
- Too P.C. by Zachary Murphy | Seattle
- Worthless? By Joy, Tom Barrett | Seattle
RC Profile: Sid Vicious, Resident Office Cat. By ©Dr. Wes Browning, Page 2
- Picture: Sid ponders his future
Opinion: Getting Worse: It’s time for the Legislature to make choices. What would you do? By Nancy Amidei, Page 3
News You Can Use! Close to Home, Page 4
| No help with drinking, drugs, or housing
- Prohibition back at Pioneer Square by Adam Holdorf
- “Is it time to end the war on drugs?” by Kennedy Leavens
- Mutual Interest doubles donations by Jeanne Ryan
- Picture: Welcome home to Tent City. On President’s Day, SHARE/WHEEL’s Tent City 3 found itself moving to yet another location within the greater Seattle area. The camp designed to provide shelter and a safe community for homeless and other people who would not have those otherwise will celebrate its two-year anniversary in April – assuming it can find a new home. Its current home at the North Seattle Church of the Nazarene is only scheduled to last through to last through the end of this month.
- Photo by Jackie Renn
Night Final: Farewell to Al Devany, Jr. Newspaper Hawker. By Michele Marchand, Page 5
- Picture: At Devany, shown at work, died in Seattle on February 4, 2002, at the age of 56
Picture: Save our State.
- Thousands of students, union members, state employees, church members, and needy people and their advocates from across the state went to Olympia on February 18, 2002 to deliver a simple messages, that the Legislature preserve human services, protect workers, and find the money for transportation and housing needs.
- Photo by George Hickey
Adventures in Poetry: Homeless Sex with ©Dr. Wes Browning, Page 6
Poetry, Pages 6, 7
- Mundaneness of Living by Steve Goodman
- Carrying a Sign by Elizabeth Romero
- These are our Dreams by Elizabeth Romero
- Pow Wow 2001 by Reneene Robertson
- The Way by Anonymous
The World at Your Door: World Social Forum shares stories. Interviews by Adam Holdorf, Page 8
- Katie Wepplo
- Brenda Anibarro
- Dustin Washington
Letting Go of the Box: Gretta Harley believes in finding power through art. By Molly Rhodes, Page 13
| Foxes in Boxes. A fundraiser for WHEEL and RAWA April 6, 2002 at PONCHO Theatre
Babies Got Backing. By Adam Holdorf, Page 14
Essay: The Cat on the Roof Incident. By Gordon Hilgers, Page 15
Notes from the Kitchen. A Modest Belgian Supper. By Liz Smith, Page 16
Street Watch. Compiled by Emma Quinn, Page 17
Drop by Drop: Another World is Possible. Edited by Jee Kim. Review by Adam Holdorf, Page 18
Classics Corner: The perils of male privilege. By Perfess'r Harris (Timothy Harris), Page 18
Calendar. Compiled by Sandra Enger, Page 19
Citizens Participation Project. ACT NOW! Page 20
Urge Federal Gov’t to End Homelessness for Everyone
- Issue: The Bush Administration and Congress need to abandon their “Chronic Homeless” terminology and policy initiative and begin looking at ways to combat the root causes of homelessness, like the lack of affordable housing and job training programs.
Mockingbird Times March 7, 2002, Vol. II, Issue 2