FOR PDF OF ENTIRE ISSUE, CLICK ON LINK BELOW
Real Change Newspaper
Table of Contents
September 14, 2005, Vol. 12, No. 36
- The Big Uneasy. Rebuilding New Orleans means reconstructing notions of race and class. Page 2
- Up for the Down Folks. A homeless man hopes the poor dispossessed by Katrina won’t take it lying down. Page 3
- Lost, Not Found. Advocates for the disabled can’t locate many of their constituents in New Orleans, Page 4
- Uncertainty Principle. Reporter Anthony Shadid hears apprehension when Iraqis speak of their future, Page 6
Table of Contents:
Ground Zero. Anti-racism workshop organizers hit by Hurricane Katrina. By Adam Hyla, Pages 1, 4
- Picture: Sixty people gathered at Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial Park a week after Hurricane Katrina devasted the Gulf Coast to mark the death and damage it wreaked. Coverage of the destruction is on pages 2, 3, 4, and 11.
- Photo by Luke McGuff
Envisioning the City. Ten City Council candidates draw up their own maps for the future of Seattle. By Kimburly Ervin, Cydney Gillis, Adam Hyla, Pages 1, 5
After the Flood. New Orleans’ destruction begs a rescue long overdue. By Lester Gray. (First in a series), Page 2
Change Agent: Sinan Demirel by Dian McClurg, Page 3
- Picture: Sinan Demirel, knitting together a U-District community.
- Photo by Andrea Lee
Way Below the Poverty (and Water Line. A homeless man finds solidarity in those affected on the Gulf Coast, By Clive Whistle, Page 3
Just Heard..., Page 3
- Looters: Priority #1 by Rosette Royale [RE: Steve Hammond]
- Port says it’s fishy by Cydney Gillis [RE: David Della, B.J. Bullert, Pete Knutson, Justice Phil Talmadge, Paul Sommers, Mark Knudsen, David Schaefer]
- Radio Nation by Adam Hyla [Prometheus Radio Project]
The Disappeared. Advocates for disabled can’t find their people in Gulf area. By Laurel Maury, Page 4 [RE: Susan Daniels]
Short Takes, Page 4
- The combo, please by Cydney Gillis [RE: Larry Gossett, Bob Ferguson, Julia Patterson, Kathy Lambert, Julia Sterkovsky]
- Angels in America by Rosette Royale [RE: Mockingbird Society, Darcie Gray, Jim McDermott, Jim Theofelis]
Interview. People of an Uncertain Age. Pulitzer-winning journalist Anthony Shadid finds the war in Iraq has left Iraqis hesitant about their future. Interview by Rosette Royale, Pages 6, 7
- Picture: Listening in: Journalist Anthony Shadid records the largely unspoken lives of the Iraqi people.
- Photo courtesy of The Washington Post
- Picture: The lives and stories of everyday Iraqis find their way into the pages of Night Draws Near: Iraq’s People in the Shadow of America’s War. Here, Iraqis wait for propane in Sadr City.
- Photo courtesy of www.omarmasry.net
Below the Cotton Belt. Book: And their Children After Them: The Legacy of Let Us Now Praise Famous Men: James Agee, Walker Evans, and the Rise and Fall of Cotton in the South by Dale Maharidge and Michael Williamson. Review by Adam Hyla, Page 8
Arms and the Man. Film: Lord of War. Written and Directed by Andrew Niccol. Review by Lester Gray, Page 8
- Picture: Yuri Orlov (Nicholas Cage) everyman’s arms dealer, in Lord of War
Adventures in Irony. An Embarrassment of Riches. By Dr. Wes Browning, Page 9
Street Watch. Compiled by Emma Quinn, Page 9
Letters to the Editor, Page 10
- Fircrest: the numbers game by Maureen Durkan | Seattle
Classified Ads, Page 10
Calendar. Page 11
Director's Corner. By Timothy Harris, Page 11
First things First. Get Involved. Take Action. Page 11
Gulf Coast needs a just reconstruction
- Issue: The devastation in the Gulf region resulting from Hurricane Katrina is greater than most of us can imagine. Reconstruction efforts will last for years, and both the process and the outcome will demonstrate our country’s values. Rabbi Michael Lerner has called for a domestic Marshall Plan to be created, with a first installment of $80 billion – an amount to the latest supplemental funding for the war in Iraq. (The Marshall Plan was the US plan for Europe’s reconstruction after World War II)
RC Hero: Fryma Mantel; Vendor #9305, Page 12
- Picture: RC Hero Fryma Mantel, a colorful personality.
- Photo by Israel Bayer
Copy of issue was obtained from microfiche in the University of Washington Suzzallo Library.