FOR PDF OF ENTIRE ISSUE, CLICK ON LINK BELOW
Real Change Newspaper
Table of Contents
November 2, 2005, Vol. 12, No. 43
- Goal Keepers. Real Change needs to raise $90K to stay in the game. You can help us reach our goal. Page 2
- Big Change. Meet Aiko Schaefer, recipient of our inaugural Change Agent Award. Page 3
- Run Nola Run. Activists from the Emerald City venture to the Big Easy, to see how well the city is working. Page 4.
- Squeaky Clean. Janitors at Cascadian make some noise over harassment and discrimination. Page 5
- The Butler Did It. Religion, myth, and women are some of the forces that drive author Octavia E. Butler. Page 6
Face-Off. Cosmetics, even the “natural” kind, contain some suspect ingredients by Cydney Gillis, Pages 1, 12
- Picture: Banned in Europe, but sold in the U.S., some personal care and hygiene products containing dangerous chemicals – but you wouldn’t know it by reading the label.
- Photo by Elliot Stoller
Change Agent: Aiko Schaefer by Kimburly Ervin, Page 3
- Picture: Aiko Schaefer, winner at Real Change’s inaugural Change Agent award, ensured that the low-income people mattered in the 2004 election.
- Photo by Suzanna Finley
Poem: Sky and Land Bland Gray by Portal, Page 3
Interview: The Sower of Parables. Through tilling the rich soil of her life, writer Octavia E. Butler pens vast fictional worlds by Rosette Royale, Pages 6, 7
- Picture: Parable of the talents: Author Octavia E. Butler reminisces about her life.
- Photo by Luke McGuff
Poem: The Girl Inside by Amelie, Page 7
Adventures in Irony. Hey, Man, Smell my FingerTM By Dr. Wes Browning, Page 9
Street Watch. Compiled by Emma Quinn, Page 9
Poem: The Budget Debacle by Larry Ebersole, Page 10
Director’s Corner by Timothy Harris, Page 11
First things First. Get Involved. Take Action. Spend Surplus on All of Us, Page 11
- Issue: In proposing his 2006 Budget, Seattle Mayor Greg Nickels recently announced a $55 million revenue surplus. Of this, $17 million is unrestricted and could be used to meet human needs.
Calendar, Page 11
Mockingbird Times, November 2005, Vol. V, Issue 11
Copy of issue was obtained from microfiche in the University of Washington Suzzallo Library.