FOR PDF OF ENTIRE ISSUE, CLICK ON LINK BELOW
Real Change Newspaper
Table of Contents
September 21, 2011, Vol. 18, No. 38
Note: Issue says Vol. 18, No. 37 in error
- Notes on Clare Johnson, P. 6
- Cyclists seeks solutions. P. 3
- Kids as cops in Zambia. P. 5
- Crime takes a beating. P. 8
Table of Contents:
Criminal failure: Students pushed out of school often end up in prison by Maggie Wilkens and Scott Davis, Page 2.
Diector’s Corner by Timothy Harris, Page 2
After fatal accidents, cyclists seek safety measures by Alison Sargent, Page 3
State asks citizens to place bets for vets by Amy Roe, Page 3
County creates special court for veterans by RC Staff, Page 3
Fallen but not forgotten.
- Picture: On Sept. 18, a bronze “Leaf of Remembrance” was embedded outside the Seward Park PCC market to honor former Real Change vendor Robert Hansen. Hansen sold outside of PCC for years until his death on April 28, 2010. “Leaves of Remembrance” begun by homeless women, honors the lives of homeless people who’ve died in King County. To learn more or donate, visit fallenleaves.org.
- Photo by Rich Mealy
Council approves paid sick leave for city’s workers by Rosette Royale, Page 4
Northwest Native Cultural Center to launch fundraising campaign by RC Staff, Page 4
In Zambia, children run the law by Samba Yonga. The Big Issue Zambia via Street News Service, Page 5
Small canvas, big ideas. Clare Johnson share her obsession at Richard Hugo House. Interview by Stacey Bridewell, Pages 6, 7, 11
Spare the prison and cane the convict. Book Review: In Defense of Flogging by Peter Moskos. Review by Sean Hughes, Page 8
- Image by Jean-Baptiste Le Prince, 1765
Adventures in Irony. Looking for a good jobs program? Hire more junk collectors with © Dr. Wes Browning, Page 9
Lest We Forget. Sentenced as a teen, Barry Massey grew up in prison. It’s time to set him free by Sable Verity, Page 9
Poem: Out on the Ground by Mac Crary, Page 9
Crossword: You and Whose Army? Puzzle by Patrick “Mac” McIntyre, Page 10
Vendor of the Week: Tony Jeffers by Matt Tyksinski, Page 11
Calendar, Page 12
Photo by Atilla Kefeli, Flickr, Page 12
Copy of issue was obtained from microfiche in the University of Washington Suzzallo Library.